Saturday, January 18, 2014

Samson and Delilah, Trust and Betrayal

My painting, Samson and Delilah, Trust and Betrayal has been used in National Geographic's television documentary Lost Faces of the Bible, episode: Delilah Revealed. It is a biblical archaeological series.
The director came across the painting online and asked for permission to use it at the end of the episode for a montage of various depictions of Delilah over the centuries. I've been told it would be on screen for approximately 2 seconds. I have yet to see it but if you do let me know!
Samson and Delilah, Trust and Betrayal, 36x52, oil on canvas over panel
The painting was a way for me to explore a moment of choice.  What we do and how we spend our days defines us. Even small daily choices have long term ramifications on the rest of our lives. I wanted to capture that moment when Delilah is deciding whether or not to cut Samson's hair. 
It's also about his trust and her betrayal. Each of those behaviors are choices consciously made.
This painting is in a private collection in Homewood, AL. Thank you Mary Lee and Kevin for inviting it into your home!

2 comments:

  1. Holy moley Terry, you've brought tears to my eyes. It's a stunning painting and your description even more so. Bravo and kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ks! I actually did cry when I painted his face, just thinking about it. So I guess we are on the same page.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...