Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Figure Oil Sketch in Progress

On Friday, August 17, 2012, I will join a few of my Women Painting Women Expedition friends Mia Bergeron, Rachel Constantine and Cindy Procious in the Face Off at Principle Gallery in Alexandria, VA, 6:30-9 PM.

It is a live painting demonstration where we will all paint from the same model. The gallery is open to the public and the paintings will be for sale at the end of the evening, so I've been trying to attend my local figure drawing group as offen as possible to exercise those quick sketch muscles.

It's not perfect practice for the event since our drawing group is structured to have 1 twenty minute session of 2 and 5 minute gesture poses, and 3 twenty minute sessions with the model in one pose, so that is only one hour on the pose.


This is the first 20 minutes. It is burnt umber on a previously tinted gessobord panel. I basically tried to get down the placement on the panel, and started to lay in the shadows. I think putting in the shape of the shadows at this point helps me get the drawing right.


In the second twenty minute session I started putting in some color in the shadows.


During the last twenty minutes I put worked toward the light areas, put in the face and the hair. I put in the pink on the blanket after I got home. And as always I wanted more time!

The Pink Blanket, 11x14, oil on panel
After seeing the painting sitting in the studio for a few days I realized that I liked the sketches I've done where I toned the background a little darker color so I added a very thin glaze to the lightest areas of the painting. For the glaze I use a bit of res-n-gel and some of the linseed oil/mineral spirits mixture that I use for a medium. I think having the background darker allows the figure to pop forward.

If you are in the Washington, DC area on August 17, come see us! Its bound to be fun time. With this crew you never know what's gonna happen!

Here's a recent post I did about other drawing tips. And here's a post about the Women Painting Women: Expedition and Beyond show at Principle Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...