Saturday, November 19, 2011

How to Keep Paintings From Sliding in the Frame

Here's a simple solution to prevent your paintings from sliding around in a frame that doesn't have a tight fit.  It's always annoying when a painting shifts around during shipping and scratches the surface of the paint.
Back Side of The Certainty of Youth and The Complexity of Wisdom
I cut a few pieces of black foam core and use them as spacers between the edge of the painted panel and the edge of the frame.

In this instance the thickness of the foam core was the correct thickness to keep the painting snug. If it needs to be smaller the foam core can squish together, its kind of springy and that works too. If you have a bigger space you can use the foam core flat rather than on the side.

I find the best solution is to do a floating frame but depending on the design of the piece that is not always viable.

The gessoed panel or canvas is secured in the frame with a Fletcher's Framer's Point Driver. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
Another indispensable tool is the Fletcher PullMate, for removing the points.
Front Side of The Certainty of Youth and The Complexity of Wisdom

This painting is at Peterson-Cody Gallery in Santa Fe, NM., and here are a couple posts I did about the making of the work:


Black and White Or Shades of Gray?

 

The Inspiration Quotient or Mr. Coffee

 

I'm working on my November newsletter introducing plein air and alla prima oil sketches I've done over the past year.

 

To get the 7 tips for Plein Air painting that I learned the hard way, sign up to receive my monthly newsletter here.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know about the Fletcher PullMate. That will be on my Christmas list. I was using a flat head screw driver and pliers. Good tip also.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...