Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Big Rescue

I had lunch today with a couple of my friends who also happen to be collectors. You may recognize them as models for my Incognito Project as well.

After an enjoyable lunch they asked me to comment on a recent art purchase they'd made. This wasn't surprising since they are avid collectors and they know that I love collecting other artist's work as well. They had brought it to the restaurant and did the big reveal in the parking lot.

Turns out they'd purchased an old oil sketch of mine from 2002. They had rescued it from obscurity in an antique shop in Birmingham, AL.

This was a life-drawing sketch done back when the X's 8 group that I still attend, used to meet in a warehouse downtown.

They were delighted to discover this painting and add it to their collection of "Strickland's". What a fun surprise!

This proves that you never know where those donated art auction  pieces will turn up 10 years later... if you're lucky, maybe in the hands of someone who will appreciate them.

Thanks guys for putting a smile on my face today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...