Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"The Bountiful Life" named finalist in The Artist's Magazine's 27th Annual Competition

My painting "The Bountiful Life - A Wedding Portrait" has been named a finalist in The Artist's Magazine's 27th Annual Competition, figure and portrait category.
This is a painting was a wedding present I did for my son and his new bride. They say that the models are half the finished piece and I agree. These two are a joy to work with, open, playful, theatrical, beautiful and willing! What more can an artist ask for in a model? I truly felt love bouncing around the studio the whole time I was working on this piece.

 
The painting is oil on canvas over panel, and is 32x41. I envisioned this as a forecast for the life I hope for them. I didn't want to do a traditional portrait but something with a more contemporary idea. I was surprised how much I enjoyed painting the fruit and flowers. 

The painting was composed by using different photographs that I had shot of the models in my studio. I then set up a still life with leaves from my garden and fruit and flowers from my local grocer and photographed it in the same lighting. Using photoshop I added the garland to the images I'd chosen of the models.

The figure category was judged this year by Sharon Sprung. Sharon is an accomplished figurative painter and instructor at the Art Students League in NY and is represented in NY by Gallery Henoch. Sharon Sprung Website, Gallery Henoch.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being chosen as a finalist! Lovely painting and something your son and his wife are going to treasure for the rest of their lives...and what an heirloom to pass down to future generations. It is a timeless work - will never seem dated. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing it in the magazine. I have to agree with Karen, my first thought was "what a treasure!" I truly admire your work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...